by the numbers
This past year (2016-17) was a busy one for English in Action.
At a glance:
- 336 students participated in our programs (an 18% increase over the prior year)
- 233 volunteer tutors donated more than 5,500 hours of their time
- Our tutor recruitment drive trained 90+ new volunteers
- Our new small group tutoring program helped 64 adults get started learning English.
As a result:
- More than 90% of our students showed measurable improvements in their oral, reading and/or writing skills after one year in the program
- More than 90% of students report improved self-confidence
- Nearly 75% report increased participation in activities that were previously difficult, including speaking to customers, shopping in stores, attending parent-teacher conferences and taking community college classes
- Many of our students get better jobs, attain citizenship or earn a GED
- 60% of our students report a greater sense of community belonging
- 80% of tutors reported a substantially increased understanding of issues faced by immigrants
English In Action held two major valley-wide cross cultural events, bringing together community members from all walks of life:
- In July 2017, 300 community members jointed us for an energetic concert at the Belly Up with International Superstar Fernando Allende and Mariachi Sol de mi Tierra from Denver.
- In October 2016, 400 diverse community members supported the Fiesta de Tamales at Eagle Crest Nursery in El Jebel, sharing in an amazing celebration of culture and community.