We believe that storytelling can help us develop a deeper connection with members of our community who come from different backgrounds and life experiences. In November 2017, English In Action debuted a live storytelling event called Immigrant Voices. Six immigrant community members—four of whom were our students— were coached by Alya Howe of Writ Large in the art of storytelling in front of a live audience. All our storytellers summoned immense courage to stand before a crowd and share their personal tales in their non-native language. Now in its sixth year, Immigrant Voices returns LIVE to TACAW on December 8, 2022. Join us!
We are grateful for the contributions of all our storytellers, past, present, and future. Please take a moment to watch and listen to their stories by viewing the video links below.
- Jorge Montiel, Mexico (13:03 min)
- Iliana Rentería, Mexico (9:15 min)
- Veronica Sacur, Argentina (9:14 min)
- Laura Segura, Mexico (4:40 min)
- MinTze Wu, Taiwan (7:14 min)
- Alexandra Yajko, Poland (15:43 min)
Full program, Live streamed November 2020 featuring Elvis Estrada, Berenice Forrest, Arabella Marmolejo, Tobias Rimkus, and Ricardo Zavala (65:58 min)
- Beatriz Soto, Mexico (13:24 min)
- Patrick Bizimana, Rwanda (9:51 min)
- Ana Quiceno, Colombia (11:05 min)
- Miguel Carballo, El Salvador (11:58 min)
- Susana Salamun, Mexico (13.22 min)
- Full program, May 2019 featuring Samuel Bernal, Krishna Thapa, Hazzell Chevez, Amanda MacCamant, & Nicholas Vesey (58:38 min)
- Jose Miranda, Venezuela (8:35 min)
- Rosa Contreras, Guatemala (6:55 min)
- Eeswar Atluri, India (8:21 min)
- Diana Cardenas, Colombia (11:51 min)
- Ignacio Pimentel, Mexico (14:34 min)
- Iliana Rentería, Mexico (9:28 min)
2017 Stories and Interviews
Our 2017 storyteller’s performances have been edited together with interviews on their stories. Enjoy these in conjunction with the discussion guide or on their own.
- Bernardina Bañuelos, Mexico (17:31 min) (promo only-1:39 min)
- Samuel Bernal, Mexico (16:07 min) (promo only-1:26 min)
- Miguel Carballo, El Salvador (17:55 min) (promo only-1:49 min)
- Shinta Damayanti, Indonesia (15:46 min) (promo only-1:32 min)
- Estela Garcia, Mexico (14:38 min) (promo only-1:49 min)
- Kristina Mace, Hungary (19:28 min) (promo only-1:29 min)
With the support of Aspen Community Foundation, we have created a discussion guide to be used by businesses, schools, churches, and community groups interested in deepening their awareness of cultural differences and the experiences of immigrants.
Please let us know you used the guide and give us feedback here.
MANY THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS AND SUPPORTERS WHO MADE THIS PROJECT POSSIBLE!
Our 2021 storytellers with MC Samuel Bernal, second from right.