Here is a small selection of the many websites available for studying English.
Interactive Websites for both Tutors and Students
- a4esl.org: Lots of different types of quizzes (grammar, vocabulary etc.) to do with your student.
- britishcouncil.org: Resources for adult learners and tutors. The website has separate sections for different ages, including adult students. Each section features a huge variety of interactive lessons, videos, games and podcasts to learn just about any skill.
- manythings.org: Includes quizzes, word games, word puzzles, proverbs, slang expressions, anagrams, a random-sentence generator and other computer assisted language learning activities. It is interactive and has sound.
- easyenglish.com: This website has fill-in-the-blank quizzes that are good for extra grammar practice.
- easyworldofenglish.com: An attractive, user-friendly website including grammar, pronunciation, reading and listening practice and an interactive picture dictionary.
- reepworld.org: This site provides adult English language learners with level-appropriate, web-based activities that target life skill areas, while also preparing students to use the Internet as a tool for learning and participating in their communities. There are resources for both students and teachers.
- gcflearnfree.org/everydaylife: A well-designed site with interactive tutorials for everything from operating an ATM machine to reading food labels. If you click on the main page icon and then click on reading, the site has resources for English language learners as well, including stories to listen to and read along, and picture dictionaries.
- makebeliefscomix.com: A creative and fun site which allows students to build and print comic strips. Good writing practice.
- shiporsheep.com: This website has lists of minimal pairs; two words that sound very similar but have different meanings. It uses sound and is excellent for listening comprehension and pronunciation.
Resources for Tutors
- mnliteracy.org: The Minnesota Literacy Council has developed the Classroom Activities for Adult ESL Learners video series, which features professional teachers leading adult ESL classes through common classroom activities. Teachers and tutors can watch these videos in order to develop their teaching practices and become more comfortable introducing new activities to their learners.
- azargrammar.com: This website provides textbook support to Azar Grammar Series users. It offers free materials to download and use in your classroom, including vocabulary worksheets, expansion activities and song lessons.
- englishforeveryone.org: Easy to print worksheets for multiple levels. Not an interactive site.
- tutorready.learnerweb.org: This resource provide answers to some common questions volunteer tutors ask about how best to help their learners improve their skills in the following components of reading: Phonemic Awareness, Decoding, Fluency, Vocabulary, and comprehension.
- eslcafe.com: Extensive website for ESL teachers and tutors with many resources, lesson plans, activities and more.
- intercambio.org: Intercambio provides ongoing support for the users of Interactive English Curriculum, including:
- Free PDF expansion ideas: worksheets, activity cards, answer sheets.
- Online monthly teaching tips.
- Online Student Resources with listening tracks and pronunciation videos.
Spanish Websites for Students
- pumarosa.com: This interactive website is in Spanish. Students can use it for self-study or tutors can help them learn to navigate it in class.
- inglesmundial.com: A website for Spanish speakers to practice English. Instructions are all in Spanish. Students can listen and practice phrases in English. Good for beginners to advanced students.
- usalearns.org: A free website for adults to learn English and prepare for U.S. citizenship. Here you can practice English speaking, reading, writing, listening, grammar, vocabulary and more. You can use these independently or with the help of your tutor. This website is for beginner and intermediate students.
- duolingo.com: A website for Spanish speakers to practice English. Instructions are all in Spanish. Students can listen and practice phrases in English. Good for beginners to advanced students.
- theenglishminute.com: It includes videos and short quizzes, is entertaining for students, and it is easy to use on a mobile device.
- study-materials-english-test: The official Website of the Department of Homeland Security offers study material for the English part of the test.
- study-materials-civics-test: The official Website of the Department of Homeland Security offers study material for the 100 civics questions on the naturalization test.
- online.themlc.org: This course will help you study for the United States Naturalization (Citizenship) Test. The test includes questions about American history and government, called Civics, and questions to show that you can read and write in English.
- elcivics.com: Learn English , U.S. History, Government, Citizenship with pictures and easy words
Phonics and Pronunciation
- wordreference.com: Is an online foreign language dictionary. It includes English definitions for words in 15 different languages, including Spanish, French, Arabic, and Chinese. These definitions often include examples to help you understand how the word is used in context. Many of these examples come from the WordReference forum, where native speakers answer questions about various words and phrases.
Pitkin County Library
pitcolib.org: Pitkin County Library Resources and Apps
- Mango available from: Pitkin County Library and Basalt LibraryCreate a free account online using any email address and a password. Make sure to download the app “Mango” into your tablet or Smart phone. Online language learning courses for over 50 languages as well as English courses for Spanish and other foreign speakers.
- Rosetta Stone available from: Pitkin County libraryAvailable with your library card. Online language learning courses for over 20 languages. The library has 16 Rosetta Stone licenses available each month. To gain access, please email your first and last name with “Rosetta” as the subject to email@example.com. You will receive details about access in reply. Headsets are available to check out from the library front desk.
- Hoopla Available with your library card.Instantly borrow free digital movies, music, eBooks and more, 24/7 with your library card. Bringing you hundreds of thousands of movies, full music albums, audiobooks and more, hoopla is a revolutionary digital service made possible by your local library. Pimsleur Level 1 (lesson 1-5) is also available in this app for many different languages.
- RB Digital Available with your library card.Popular free digital magazines available with your library card for download to your home computer or mobile device. The Pitkin County Library’s collection from RB Digital offers 172 publications on an array of subjects.
- Kanopy Available with your library card.Stream over 30000 Documentaries, Classic and Indie Films. Watch up to ten movies a month free with your library card.
- OverDrive Digital Collection Available with your library card. OverDrive provides the Pitkin County Library with a full range of contemporary and classic downloadable eBooks, audiobooks, and movies.